Friday, August 15, 2008

I am a Vein!

I lay awake at 5:30 am with no justification as to why, expect the fact that I was going to run at 6am. However, I got a text message from my running partner and she stayed up late decorating her hall in our dorm therefore we are not going. It is also, raining cats and Dogs therefore there is no rhyme or reason for me to go by my self..  it is my day off I should already be soundly back to sleep; however, i am not! So I am going to attempt to update this special thing which I have not done for a month! Good grief time flies! I seriously cannot even begin to explain to you just how wonderful, and challenging my summer truly was. From guatemala city, to new friends, disciplined running schedules, long days, my car being towed, incoming freshmen orientation, camping trips, floating down a river, early morning workouts, home, fireworks, baseball games, e-mails, batman, 20 mile bike rides, txt messages, you got mail, office days with nothing to do, as well as office days where i don't sit down, to moving one room over, praying and prayer mountain, people moving, to change in lifestyle, cheddars,  learning about spiritual gifts, days at the lake, black coffee, to plane rides, to learning that it's okay not to say anything,  random people talking to you about nothing, to wresting, toiling, striving, and diving It has been a great summer. 

The Lord has truly taught me about waiting patiently, being quite, His word, His heart, and his desires. Although, this might sounds like I learned a lot do not be fooled because the more I learned the more I realized I knew nothing! 

However, He did allow me to catch a glimpse of what His heart looks like, and let me tell you I have never in my life desired to to Hide myself in his word then I have right now.  I grew up in a christian home, and enjoyed the stories of the bible since I was five but incase you are like me and need a swift kick in the face those are not just stories........ They are alive and active and filled with so much to teach us! There is power in the women at the well, paul being in prison, the blind receiving sight, the sick being healed, the stoning of stephen, daniel and the lions den, the feeding of the five thousands, as well as the death and resurrection of the cross. More power than I ever gave credit to. Something I hope to write more about in day's to come. However, Right now there is a verse I am learning about. 

Let me preference this with that the lord taught me  a lot about how the body of christ is suppose to look like and what part of the body I am. When asked what part of the body I make up, I wanted to say the mouth. I love talking about the Lord and teaching truth. I also, wanted to say the hands and feet for they go and give to the people. In addition, I wanted to be the heart for it gives life to the body, however, I do not believe any of those best fits how I fit into the body of christ. Rather, I believe I am a Vein! I am by no means the heart thus making me the end all and giving life to the body; nor, am I the hands and feet. Let me take the moment though to say I believe we are all called in some way to the hands and feet by the simple fact we are called to go and give. I also believe that we are the mouth for we are commanded to preach the gospel where ever we are. In addition, to those items of the body that i think we all make up, I truly think I am a vein. I am not the heart giving life to the body but rather a means in which people can go to the heart, I help to show people back to the heart. ( or at least I try to) I say all of that to say: 

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30
The footnote reads : gives life to the body. the healthy effects of fearing the Lord and walking in Wisdom.. the other scripture references 3:7-816-18,3:8 12:4, ps 37:7-8 

Pro 3.7-8 Do not be wise in your own eyes fear the lord and shun evil this will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. 

16-18
Long life is in her right hand in her left hand are riches and honor Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who embrace her those who lay hold of her will be blessed. 

12:4 
A wife of noble character is her husbands crown but a disgraceful wife is like decay to his bones.. Then you proceeded to proverbs 31 and it talks about WHO CAN FIND A WOMEN OF NOBEL CHARACTER? then in vs 35 it says she is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at days to come. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.   

ps 37:7-8 

BE still before the Lord and wait patiently for him, Do not fret when men succeed in their ways when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath do not fret if leads only to evil. 

There is a lot to waiting patiently, wisdom, and the life it gives to the body but I am so far from understanding it all. When I first read it I looked to myself ( because I am selfish ) and wanted to know how that applies to me. A heart at peace gives life to the body... I like this part of the verse, it is simple, clear cut make sense, I understand it and can apply it to my life. BUT envy rots the bones, not so much.. I have to be honest i don't struggle with envy! haha okay I do! Let me be honest though my first thought was that I don't struggle with it, then after asking the lord to reveal to me the places I do envy he had a lot to show me. But the lord revealed this verse to me in a new way. After rereading the verse and not looking to see what I can get from it but rather what the lord wanted me to see. I realized that although the verse applies to me it has more to do with the Body of Christ than my selfish being.  

You see "a Heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

I started realizing more not the things of this world but rather the spiritual things i was envious of. For instance, the feet in the body of christ that get to go to the ends of the world, as well as the mouth that gets to preach the words in new ways and speak truth to people. I think I am sometimes even envious of the brain and the knowledge it has. But The verse say's a Heart a peace give life to the body. So I had to ask my self if i'm envious of these parts of the body then I must be rotting the bones and hurting the body! FOR if I am not at peace with being a vein then that is the only thing i can bring to the body. For I'm not focusing on getting people to the heart but rather looking at where the feet are going and what the mouth is saying and what that brain up there is thinking.... That is NOT my job. the lord has given me the gifts of encouragement and discernment thus making me a vein. I want people to get to the heart, I see and know the way and can help others get there! But in order to do this I have to understand my role in the body, because if i do not and I keep longing to be a foot I am only going to bring bad health to the body for I am not fulfilling my role!  With this is mind I want to go back to the verses that where footnoted in my bible.

Pro 3.7-8 Do not be wise in your own eyes fear the lord and shun evil this will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones

16-18
Long life is in her right hand in her left hand are riches and honor Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who embrace her those who lay hold of her will be blessed. 

12:4 
A wife of noble character is her husbands crown but a disgraceful wife is like decay to his bones.. Then you proceeded to proverbs 31 and it talks about WHO CAN FIND A WOMEN OF NOBEL CHARACTER? then in vs 35 it says she is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at days to come. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.   

I slowly began to understand that a heart at peace comes from Fearing the Lord.
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; 
       all who follow his precepts have good understanding. 
       To him belongs eternal praise"

I want to have a heart at peace, I do not in any way want to hurt the body.  I want to a women of my word and give life to to the body! I want to be a vein! 

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You preach it sister! It is a such a blessing to see a young lady with such a hunger for God's Word. A vein is simply a useless vessel until it is filled; I'm so glad you are letting God fill that vessel and not the world. You are awesome!!!!

Whitney said...

I love you sister.
You always know how to put it =]

? said...

hello lady :)